Saturday, May 27, 2006

Abusing Haskell for fun and profit

At the moment I am working on a System.FilePath module combining Lemmih's one from cabal, and the one from Yhc. In order to do this I have had to abuse Monad's to the extreme (instance Monad Test) and CPP to the extreme (#define module --). Hopefully the result will be useful to a large number of people, and might even make it into base. [Note: the interface to System.FilePath is unstable, and will change - if you have any suggestions please let me know!]

I have also been advocating Haskell to my research group, to the stage where in my group there is only one hold out Python programmer, and everyone else has moved to Haskell even for non-Haskell related projects/PhD's. Now I have to start trying to persuade them to move to Windows...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two questions:

Are there any howto's on how to use Haskell for sysadmin type stuff? I mainly use python for those sorts of things. It would be nice to see a Haskell Cookbook some day. I have the Python Cookbook and I am quite enjoying it. Someone might want to talk to ActiveState about starting a Haskell section if they don't have one already.

Why on earth are you trying to get people to move to Windows?!?!

Neil Mitchell said...

I don't really know how to do sysadmin stuff with Haskell, and I kind of suspect that its easier to do with Python... The Linspire team is using Haskell however, and I guess what they are doing is somewhat is sysadmin (on a much larger scale)

And I use Windows, hence if everyone else does too, I get better support :) I like my mouse!

Anonymous said...

You can use a mouse in other OSs.